Monday, September 8, 2008

Lance Who? Bobby Julich is MY Idol.

Olympic bronze medalist Julich retires

USA's Bobby Julich of Team CSC-Saxo Bank has announced the end of his 15-year professional career – "Now is the time to ... move on to the next phase of my life."
Photo ©: Isabelle Duchesne
(Click for larger image)

USA's Bobby Julich of Team CSC-Saxo Bank has announced the end of his 15-year professional career, saying, "Now is the time to make that decision and move on to the next phase of my life."

"I have seen the highest of highs and the lowest of lows during my career," he said in press release, "but every moment has taught me many things and made me into the person I am today. I hope to stay connected to the world of cycling because it has been my life and passion for 25 years."

CSC-Saxo Bank Team Manager Bjarne Riis praised Julich and said he hopes to continue working with him. "I would be honoured if he would consider being part of the team in another role in the future," he said.

Julich, 36, turned professional in 1992. He had his first major successes while with Team Cofidis in 1997–1999, winning the Tour de l'Ain and the Criterium International and finishing third in the 1998 Tour de France. After seasons at Crédit Agricole and Telekom, he joined CSC in 2004. He won a bronze medal in the 2004 Athens Olympics, and the Paris-Nice, Critérium International and Eneco Tour in 2005. He has not ridden this season since the Tour de Suisse. (SW)


Stolen without permission from www.cyclingnews.com

No comments: